PERMEABLE PAVER DRIVEWAYS
Help reduce the number of pollutants and pesticides reaching your town’s
lakes and rivers by re-directing rainwater as it falls to the ground.
Driveways that Reduce Pollution
Living in the go green era comes with the realization that several of the old and traditional routes of building and installing amenities such as driveways may not be good for the environment. Luckily there is a solution so that you can still park at your house without the chance of your car getting stuck in the mud as well as doing your part in keeping the world cleaner.
What are environmentally friendly driveways?
Normal driveways block rainwater and force it into unsanitary drainage systems. As the water flows down the channels it picks up trash, dirt, and oils that have settled on impermeable pavement. Permeable pavement is designed with durable materials and a unique sub-base that allows stormwater to soak into the ground below.
Why install a permeable driveway?
The path of rainwater trails off from a home or building’s roof, through gutters and across an asphalt driveway (or walkway) picking up contaminants along the way. It eventually runs off to a storm drain which then reaches nearby lakes and rivers. You can prevent this by installing a permeable driveway or walkway which will then allow the rainwater to seep through the joints of the pavers and drain into the ground. The soil in the ground has natural microorganisms that will break down the pollutants and purify the water.
How does permeable pavement work?
Permeable interlocking concrete pavement is comprised of a layer of concrete pavers separated by joints, filled with small stones. The void in the joints allows stormwater to flow through an “open-graded base” i.e crushed stone layers with no small or fine particles. The stones in the joints provide 100% permeability while the base stores and filters storm water and reduces pollutants. Making your new driveway durable and long lasting, as well as environmentally friendly.
What are the benefits of a green driveway?
There are many benefits of installing an environmentally friendly driveway or walkway:
- Permeable pavers can be added to almost anywhere around your home.
- They reduce heat otherwise emitted through typical asphalt driveways and walkways.
- They provide runoff control, flood prevention, and the replenishment of ground water.
- Permeable or porous driveways are more durable, stable, and easier to repair and maintain.
- Green driveways look great! They’re definitely not the standard smoothed out cement look – your driveway can become a stone mosaic.
What materials are used?
Getting an environmentally friendly driveway installation comes with a variety of looks and materials. By using different types of porous materials, such as gravel, sand, and paver blocks it acts as a filter by absorbing liquid waste, cleaning it, and recharging it to the environment. By using interlocking concrete pavers you can create a patterned parking pad of your desire.
Types of porous driveways include:
- Brick: Can be designed to be a porous driveway by leaving gaps or spaces between each brick.
- Crushed Stone & Gravel: Usually made from decomposed granite, the graven can be loosely set on top of a bed of sand or dirt.
- Dry-Laid Paver: Installed stones or pavers over bed of sand and gravel.
- Ground Reinforcement Grids: A mesh that could be added inbetween stone tiles to create a grid look and fill in the spaces.
- Grass Pavers: If you’re looking for a driveway that resembles green landscaping, grass pavers would be perfect for you.
- Stone: Installed by using flagstone or slate with rocks and gravel.
- Plastic Mats with Cells: Circular shape or hexagonal cells.
How are permeable driveway pavers installed?
Our certified and trained paver installation crew will design any paver driveway that meets local and state requirements for storm water runoff. We are one of two companies in New England that have the ability to lay the pavers mechanically which is beneficial for all of our customers because it reduces the cost and the amount of time to install. Giving you your dream driveway in a short amount of time at an affordable price. A permeable paver application is a long term sustainable options to asphalt, pea stone, or several other types of materials.
How much does a green driveway cost?
We offer free estimates and work with each client on a competitive pricing budget. Your dream driveway is only a phone call away. The Patio Company prides itself on quality work that is satisfactory to every client. We’re not satisfied until you are. Give us a call on 978-468-9793 for your free estimate. We look forward to hearing from you!